Thumb arthritis, also known as “basal joint arthritis” or “thumb carpometacarpal (CMC) joint arthritis,” is a common condition affecting the joint at the base of the thumb. At Hand to Shoulder Associates, our skilled specialists are experienced in diagnosing and treating thumb arthritis, providing personalized care to help patients find relief and regain thumb mobility.
Symptoms of thumb arthritis
Thumb arthritis typically develops gradually and can cause various symptoms, which may include:
- Pain or tenderness at the base of the thumb, especially during gripping or pinching activities
- Swelling and stiffness in the thumb joint
- Weakness in the thumb, leading to difficulty performing simple tasks like opening jars or turning door knobs
- A sensation of grinding or popping in the thumb joint
- Decreased range of motion in the thumb
- Enlargement or a visible bump at the base of the thumb as the joint deteriorates
If you experience any of these symptoms, seeking medical evaluation to determine the underlying cause and initiate appropriate treatment is essential.